07 March 2009

l'Internet, C'est un chose Terrible.

After a defective cyclocross frame debacle (More on that later, don't shop at Performance), I have a bunch of left-over bike parts, some of which are cyclocross specific.

I decided to sell the remaining cyclocross parts on craigslist, starting with the tires.

As usually happens when selling on Craigslist, after a while I began to get e-mails. One of them seemed innocuous at first, but soon went weird places:

"Hey man,

are your sweet tires still for sale?

Dan"

I replied that they were, and then the weird began:

"I dont really know much bout bike tires but i need some. My boyfriend wrecked my car so i need some new tires for my bike so i can ride it down to work. so what are some good tires?

Dan"
It is weird to try and find something like specific bike tires on Craigslist if you don't know what you are buying. I replied that I hadn't seen his bike, and since they were a strange sort of tire, they probably wouldn't fit his bike; however if he could read the old tire size, I would tell him if they would fit. His next response became officially strange:

"Yeah it says 700 something. How does $30 dollars sound, and a little man to man action?

Dan"

At this point, I just quit replying, but I continued to receive e-mail:

"yo dude so do we have a deal? I need some tires and im kind of gettin restless now since me and my boyfriend are temporarly [sic] apart since he crashed my car. Let me know tough guy............"
This was really creeping me out at first, but Scott said he thought it was probably a prank, seeing as I'd posted the ad on facebook. This makes a lot of sense, after the fact, seeing as there are no pictures of me in the ad. The last e-mail, which was just one word and some question marks, leads me to the same conclusion.

I still don't know who did it, though...

It's just not easy being a tough guy, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment